Debugger problems

Thomas McGuire Thomas.McGuire at gmx.net
Mon Nov 6 13:21:35 UTC 2006

Hi!

Am 06.11.2006 12:55 schrieb Vladimir Prus:

> [..]
> I can't, because such message box is supposed to be shown only in situation
> when everything is terribly broken and all further debugging makes no
> sense. You really don't want to miss a message like that.
>
> All situations where an error is local (like inability to pretty-print
> QString) should not cause the message box.
Well, this seems to be a bug then.

> [..]
>
> I'd much rather have a testcase I can use to prevent the message box from
> showing in the first place. I can try with Qt4 QString later today, but a
> testcase that's guaranteed to produce the problem is always better.
OK, here is what I did. I used a fresh KDevelop from SVN (today). I had all my
config files about kdevelop removed (rm -rf /home/tmg/.kde/share/apps/kdev*;
rm -rf /home/tmg/.kde/share/config/kdev*)

1. Start KDevelop
2. Project->Import Existing Project...
3. Project type: Qt4 C++ Application (QMake4 based)
4. Select [..]/qt-copy/examples/dialogs/findfiles as directory
5. Click OK, then QMake Manager
6. Click on window.cpp
7. Place a breakpoint at line 68 (View-Show line numbers), which is the first
line in Window::browse()
8. Debug->Start. Click yes when asked to rebuild project
9. In the app, click browse
10. The messagebox should be shown now (twice!)

Note that I am doing all this as the regular user, e.g. the KDE3 + QT3 user.
My qt-copy is located in the home dir of my kdedev user. Since I am the
regular user, no KDE4/QT4 env vars are set at all.

11. Type asdf in the lineedit of the Variables widgets, and hit Watch.
9 (!!) Error boxes are shown now.

Also note that I can not remove asdf from the list of watched variables, since
it is grayed out.This makes the asdf message box appear every time i step.

Maybe you should rething what I said about not showing these error boxes.

As Hamish noted, this happens only when the Qt options are set to Qt3, which
seems to be the default after importing a Qt4 project.
I wonder why I haven't noticed before that my Qt settings are wrong, but
nevertheless these message boxes should die.

--
Thomas