Debugger problems

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Mon Nov 6 11:55:48 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 14:44, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 03.11.2006 06:38 schrieb Vladimir Prus:
> > On Thursday 02 November 2006 22:58, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I had no problems debugging KDE 4 applications but now I can't inspect
> > > the variables. For example, when I try to see the value of a QString I
> > > get "There is no member named len".
> > >
> > > I'm using kdevelop 3.3.92 and updated recently from svn. Perhaps this
> > > is the cause of the problems.
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > I need a minimal self-contained example to investigate -- preferrably as
> > custom makefile project.
>
> I've seen that problem as well on KDE 4 apps, maybe this because QString
> has different members in Qt3/Qt4?
>
> Anyway, the important thing is that the GDB message boxes are very annoying
> when stepping through the code, they show up on every step if the
> variables/watches window has a QString which is shown (IIRC (kdevelop does
> not work at the moment for me, so I can't test that right now)).
>
> Can you add a "Don't show again" checkbox to the GDB error message box?

I can't, because such message box is supposed to be shown only in situation
when everything is terribly broken and all further debugging makes no sense.
You really don't want to miss a message like that.

All situations where an error is local (like inability to pretty-print
QString) should not cause the message box.

> Or, alternatively, add "Show debugger errors in messagebox" to the context
> menu of the debugger view (toggleable, with checkbox).
> I am sure there are other situations than this one where GDB message boxes
> are not wanted.

I'd much rather have a testcase I can use to prevent the message box from
showing in the first place. I can try with Qt4 QString later today, but a
testcase that's guaranteed to produce the problem is always better.

- Volodya