KDevelop's UI - How Difficult to Extract for Own Program?

jsmith435 at cox.net jsmith435 at cox.net
Thu May 25 23:21:35 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 23:06, jsmith435 at cox.net wrote:
> in your minds, how difficult would it be to
> extract the UI code and bring it into a new application?

Hello, thanks for all the responses.  Let me tell you more what my application
would do, and then maybe this is really something we can integrate into a
future release of KDevelop.

I am dreaming up a massive software design and development studio.  What I was
considering when I posted this, was doing some sort of requirements
management tool as well as a trace matrix manager tool to show the flow
between test cases, requirements, use cases, actual source code, etc.  The
idea was to use KDevelop's UI with regard to the fly-out windows (as
described in the initial thread) and have one of those for entering and
managing requirements, another for maybe entering and managing test cases,
etc.

I have looked briefly at some of IBM's Rational tools like their requirements
manager and their software architect software (UML diagrams, etc.) and
someday I'd like to see a free software package of that caliber available for
free for Linux.  To that end, I'm starting small, improving my coding skills
(still learning my way around C++) and growing the idea from there.

One of the things I decided today was that I was going to over the next few
months try and master KDevelop's source code.  Perhaps I can look at using
KDevelop as the base platform for my "designer" tool idea.  Perhaps
eventually we can integrate some additional "fly-out windows" for managing
requirements, test cases, use cases, business rules, etc.  Perhaps someday we
can even integrate some sort of UML diagram module and from the diagram
generate source code--I know Umbrello exists and does code generation but
would be nice to have integration between the two functionalities.

As I mentioned, I'm still working on getting my coding skills up to par (this
is a high priority, active task on my part--not a pipe dream) so right now
this is strictly an idea with a very long implementation time frame for me.

So, to sum up, instead of taking your UI and starting another application, I'm
now going to seriously look at integrating this idea with KDevelop itself.

I'd welcome comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc. on this idea.

Thanks,

Jason