new KDevPlatform API for consideration

Jens Herden jens at kdewebdev.org
Tue May 23 07:25:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

> Thanks for any comments and feedback.

I looked briefly into it.

In KDevFileManager is an enum Feature where the Files entry should get a
0x0004 to make it or-able, at least that is how I understand QFlag().
Should we reserve some values in that enum for future use? I saw that some
enum definitions in QT define a user-value entry two mark the reserved space.

In kdevbuildmanager.h: Do you need to assign values in the BuildFeature enum
to make them or-able.

I wonder if some methods of KDevProject should better move into
KDevFileManager? I mean: inProject, absoluteUrl, relativeUrl. For me this
seems more natural to combine them there.
But I also read this here:
 * KDevProject is a container for everything which relates to the files
 * within a development project.  It maintains a list of files contained
 * in it.

So maybe the best solution would be to drop KDevFileManager and put the stuff
directly into KDevProject? I mean can we imagine projects without files? And
even if there are some, they can carry the overhead.
What you would need than is a setBuildManager for projects which actually
support building.

In KDevProject: setFileManager takes no ownership of the the given object,
right? It would suggest to comment this just to make it clear.

In general I am happy to see this new code and the switch to KUrl.

I'd like to know if one implementation of a KDevFileManager would be part of
the platform?

If yes, I am thinking about a way to associate custom data to a
KDevProjectItem. I mean like KFileItem is doing it. If we would have this
Quanta and others could use the default project of KDevelop and just add
pointers to specific data to the items. This would be very flexible and could
be used from different plugins at the same time.

Forgive me if my very limited knowledge about KDevelop made me write nonsense
in this mail.

Jens