new KDevPlatform API for consideration

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Fri May 19 17:29:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

Hamish and I have been working on making some improvements to the platform
api, especially with regards to KDevProject. Please take a look at the
kdev-nice-project branch in branches/work/kdev-nice-project and please
provide feedback. Below are some of the changes to the API:

- Split KDevProject to distinguish between projects that don't require a build
system and ones that do. KDevBuildableProject is availabe for those projects
that require a build system or some sort of compile to be runnable.

- Rename KDevProjectEditor to KDevFileManager. Split KDevFileManager into
KDevFileManager and KDevBuildManager. The former does not deal with the build
system, while the latter does. Most operations occur on KUrls now, meaning
that projects may not necessarily be stored locally anymore. The language
support will have to determine whether or not to enforce the "project must be
stored locally" limitation, but that has yet to be added to the API.

- Enforce the singleton design pattern in KDevApi. This is already done in
KDevelop's shell library. We've just moved it one level down.

Thanks for any comments and feedback.
--
Matt