branches/kdevelop/3.4/languages/cpp

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon May 22 14:39:30 UTC 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 17:31, David Nolden wrote:
> The problem is that the code consists of really many classes, many of
> them template-classes. To put the code into other files, it would be
> necessary to split up every class into header & implemenation, which
> is really a lot of work, especially for functions within
> template-classes.

Yes, this is what I recommend.

> I understand you, but the evaluation-stuff is a
> closed system, currently it is not needed anywhere except in that
> file, so I don't think that it currently is worth the big effort,
> just to make it more readable.

Trust me it worths. KMDI anyone? ;-) Sooner or later the code needs to
be maintained by somebody else. And at that point it matters a lot.

> Also the classes are easier to modify in the current style, I think
> there will yet be quite some changes on it(for example the
> computation of the completion-entry-list maybe should be moved into
> the SimpleTypeImpl-class).

But now even fixing those warnings and errors is hard as you cannot do
it step by step and you have to navigate through a big file to find
declarations and definition, insted of using the power of tools, like
opening the corresponding header file for a cpp (and vice versa).

> Since I maybe need to start working on my SOC-project tomorrow(which
> will also be a lot of work), I cannot start such a big thing now. All
> I plan to do on cppcodecompletion.cpp until end of SOC is making some
> little fixes I discover, or fixing important bugs that I'm told. :)

Maybe you don't know, but I might be a co-mentor for you. ;-) Ok, if you
don't want to do for this file, I will do it.

> Please consider using my new navigation-features +  the class view,
> with them you can navigate through the file without any problems :-)
> Also please notice that the file already had about 5500 lines before
> I touched it!

Ok, you might not be the only one guilty here, but here are my stats:
kdevelop from KDE 3.5 branch:
-rw-r--r-- 1 andris users 64368 2006-05-17 10:34 cppcodecompletion.cpp
cat cppcodecompletion.cpp | wc -l
2464

kdevelop 3.4 branch:
-rw-r--r-- 1 andris users 217434 2006-05-22 15:53 cppcodecompletion.cpp
cat cppcodecompletion.cpp | wc -l
7938

The difference is noticeable.

> Please look exactly at the #include-madness in lib/widgets and tell
> me how to fix it ;) I know it's not very nice but I also don't think
> it's all that bad.

OK, I will do.

Andras