Code-Completion

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Tue May 2 18:30:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 05:17, David Nolden wrote:
> Hi! I've worked a lot on it and now when I look at it, i've completely
> rewritten the vital parts of the cpp-code-completion. I've got it now
> working very well with templates, even STL. It isn't completely ready yet
> and still needs some polish.. but there are two other thing's I'd like to
> ask about.
>
> I've reactivated the type-display as prefix in the auto-completion-box(for
> some reason it was disabled), and I use to show the types completely
> template-processed. The problem is that it can really get a lot of text(so
> one can lose the overview), and that the there's a lot more to compute then
> until now(which takes especially long when the persistent repository is
> used).
>
> So first I'd like to know if it is somehow possible to specialize the
> popup-widget so I can vary the fonts to make the whole thing look nicer,
> similar to the way I did it with the class-view and navigator by just
> overriding the item-widget.. I couldn't find anything about that.

Unfortunately not.  There was a patch floating around that used <qt> markup
for cc, but I'm not sure what came of it (I don't think much).

For kde4, I rewrote code completion to be model-view based, so everything you
ask is possible... see
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~hamishrodda/kate-cc-highlighting1.png for a
screenshot (earlier or in development, looks better now).  It aligns the
popup so that return type is shown to the left visually.

> Secondly I'd like to put the whole code-completion into another thread,
> since on a big project it even slowed down and shortly blocked the GUI
> without the new completion-system. Does anyone know how practicable that
> would be?

In kdev4, this should be possible.

For kdevelop3, I don't think it is, unfortunately; at least, not on demand.
Can this be done preemptively, during parsing?

Would you be interested in contributing to kdevelop4?  We are starting to work
on type binding now with roberto's AST to definition-use chain work.

Cheers,
Hamish.