Platform split

Jens Herden jens at kdewebdev.org
Tue May 2 02:33:11 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 02:03, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 06:02, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > also, the platform module will depend on snapshot like everything else.
> > :)
>
> I'd not do that. Really, what is the difference between trunk and snapshot?
> IMHO one - we will be forced to wait for kdelibs changes and fixes two
> weeks. That's not right.

That is only true for day one after a new snapshot. Please try to see it more
realistic. A two week schedule does not mean you have to wait two weeks until
you can make changes!

> Worry about possible breakages by changes in kdelibs? Yes, that's annoying.
> But in fact every two weeks (new kdelibs snapshot) we will be faced to the
> major breakage inside our code. I'd prefer to fix stuff incrementally and
> not dig in the kdelibs commit logs to know what was changed back in the
> time.
>
> Neither KDevelop nor KDevPlatfrom (and nor Quanta) are stable. Let's spend
> a bit more time at kdelibs tracking now and let's not slow down
> development.

Fixing broken KDevelop and kdelibs before I can work on Quanta slows down my
development! I am one chain link deeper as you and it really hurts me.
I do not want to play cat and mouse all the time! The idea of the snapshot is
to minimize this and I think this idea is good.

Jens