Project loading problems

mwoehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Fri Jul 28 19:50:31 UTC 2006

Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 15:37, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Before I start filing bug reports, I'd like to check here for any
>> suggestions in being as helpful as possible.
>>
>> I just built KDevelop 3.3.91 (the most recent source tarball I could
>> find). I have had several crashes while trying to load a rather large
>> project. Are the backtraces helpful, or is there something I could do to
>> provide additional information?
>>

> It would be useful if you could try a checkout of
> anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/kdevelop/3.4 and see if the crashes go
> away. Backtraces would be interesting if you've built kdevelop with debug
> information.

Ack. Naturally, now that I have rebuilt with --enable-debug=full, it
doesn't crash. :-)

At least if it does it again, I'll both know what to do, and will have a
trace from a debug KDevelop.

>> Also, as it takes several minutes to load the project, I decided to
>> throw callgrind at KDevelop to investigate why this is. Would anyone be
>> interested in the raw output, or should I just summarize?
>
> raw output of the callgrind output posted somewhere would be the most useful,
> since then we'll be able to open it in kcachegrind, analyze it, and fix the
> bottlenecks.

Ok, is there anywhere good I can post it? I don't have any of my own
webspace for that sort of use. (FWIW, I paid attention this last time;
KDevelop took about 1:40 to fully start when opening my large project.)
Also, is it expected to have three output files?

I can at least make this observation: there is a 25% self cost to
"tryit()", called by KMimeMagic::findFileType->process->tryit. About 90%
of the calls come from methods of CppSupportPart; seems like a place to
start looking, at least.

Thanks,

--
Matthew
Warning: prolonged exposure to Cygwin may cause addiction.