What's this "simplified IDEAl" mode?

mwoehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Fri Jul 28 15:05:58 UTC 2006

Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 15:47, mwoehlke wrote:
>> While looking at 'new features for 3.4.x', I saw:
>>
>> * Simple IDEAl UI mode is now the default
>>    + It's faster and has less bugs
>>    + Takes less screen estate
>>    + The viewspace can be split...
>>    + IntelliJ IDEA - alike toolview keyboard navigation...
>>    + Better keyboard navigation and focusing
>>
>> Alas, I saw this AFTER trying out 3.3.91, and going, "OMG What happened
>> to the UI?!".
>>
>> Basically, I have two complaints against 'Simplified'.
>>
>> First, I miss the 'show contents while resizing' mode of regular IDEA1.
>>
>> Second, "takes less screen estate" is completely false (at least with my
>> UI settings*); this is why I initially freaked out when I saw the
>> change. There are several pixels of padding around the docked-window
>> tabs that aren't there on regular-not-simplified IDEA1. Also, the
>> docking tab-bars don't go away if they are empty. Both of these result
>> in simplified devouring considerably MORE pixels than its cousin.
>>
>> The obvious solution is to use regular-not-simplified IDEA1... but what
>> about "faster and has less bugs"?
>
> It's not based on the steaming pile of crap that is the KMDI library.

Right. Soo.... can we fix the 'it takes *more* screen space' issue, and
maybe get 'show contents while resizing' behavior? Then I wouldn't be
stuck with the one "based on the steaming pile of crap that is the KMDI
library". Right now the screen-use thing makes it a poor alternative
(for me, anyway), rather than an improvement.

I'm certainly not trying to say we should drop the new 'simplified
IDEA1'. I'm all for forward progress; we're just not there yet. :-)

--
Matthew
Warning: prolonged exposure to Cygwin may cause addiction.