Patch for better Qt4 support

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Fri Jul 21 10:59:57 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 5:11 am, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here it is, my first try to provide better (as in: more easy to use) Qt4
> support for KDevelop 3.4. The attached patch compiles fine here and I
> also made sure that with a qmake project everything works as before.

Awesome Andreas!

> The changes that I've done are:
>
> - provide a new tab on the C++ configuration for Qt options
> - move the include-style option to the new tab
> - provide configuration options for qt version, qt directory and
>   designer integration on the new tab page
> - remove the designer integration configuration from kdevelop's settings
>   page
> - use the already existing qt root entry in the project dom to create
>   path's for designer and qmake (in partcontroller.cpp and
>   trollprojectpart.cpp)
> - make the configured qt directory "override" the QTDIR environment
>   variable in trollprojectpart.cpp, but keep the precedence of a
>   specifically configured environment variable QTDIR
> - change the logic of qt version and include style, so that the include
>   style can be choosen freely for qt4 (but only qt3 style is available
>   for qt3). I think this makes more sense, because people out there also
>   use qt3 style with Qt4 projects.
>
> That's all so far, I tried to provide proper what's This entries for the
> new options (copying existing ones, if available) and I also found a
> small bug during this: The what's this entries of other radio buttons on
> the C++ configuration tab's are the same as for the Qt styles, so I
> think these should be changed (will file a bugreport just after
> finishing the mail).
>
> Also I thought a bit more about stuff that could be improved, depending
> on wether it is halfway as easy as the above changes I'll try to come up
> with patches for the following (withing the next few weeks):
>
> - Check for validity of the Qt directory given in the C++ configuration
>   page
> - Check the existing qmake templates to make sure that they configure
>   the Qt options correctly, eventually asking for a Qt directory upon
>   creation (not sure wether the "wizard" supports this).
> - Improve qmake4 support, IIRC the qmake manager didn't get along very
>   well with a Qt4 project I had, I'll try to at least make him recognize
>   the various new variables
> - improve the subclassing right-click menu and class wizard to provide
>   correct subclassing for Qt4 .ui files (for now I'll start with the
>   multiple inheritance method)

I haven't looked at the patch yet, but it is good that you are taking this on.
KDevelop works 'good enough' with Qt4 for me by just setting the ( three
different sets ) environment variables in configure/make/run, however I'm
sure more Qt4 integration will be appreciated.

> Any comments are welcome (for the patch and the planned items),
> especially to tell me that I shouldn't try as you can't make such large
> changes in kdevelop3.4 so late. (I'm sorry I didn't try earlier, I
> always thought it would be much harder to implement...).

Regardless, it is good to see some patches for this.  Welcome!