KDevelop4 project file

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 20 19:54:54 UTC 2006

On 20.07.06 13:08:59, mwoehlke wrote:
> Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > On Thursday, 20. July 2006 18:43, mwoehlke wrote:
> >> I can already imagine the headache this is going to create. "Oh, but I
> >> wanted that setting to apply to ALL projects! You mean I have to close
> >> my active project, make the change, and then wait five minutes while my
> >> project re-opens?". It seems like we need to provide a way for the
> >> configure dialog to let us pick to apply settings to the project, or
> >> globally.
> >
> > K3b settings dialogs, anyone?
> > That "Save User Defaults" and "K3b Defaults" buttons are exactly what this
> > situation demands. [snip]
>
> No, that wouldn't work... at least not as well as my suggestion. How
> does KDevelop know which settings you want applied globally? If you have
> a project with many settings you *want* different than the global ones,
> but need to change one global setting, you can't. A mode that would flip
> you to editing global settings would allow this.

I (as a kdevelop user) could imagine 2 ways:

1. Provide a drop-down-box on the top line of the dialog selecting
between project and global settings

2. Always provide Configure Kdevelop and Configure <Project>, with
Configure <Project> grayed out and using <Project> literally when no
project is loaded.

I'm not sure which one is better in terms of usability, but I personally
would like version 1 more.

You will be audited by the Internal Revenue Service.