KDevelop lib BIC changes

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Wed Jul 19 20:54:21 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 4:44 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 23:40, Adam Treat wrote:
> > It doesn't fail to compile.  Update your kdelibs.
>
> I will and try it.
>
> > On Wednesday 19 July 2006 4:29 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  Seeing the recent commit of Adam Treat to KDevelop (and the fact
> > > that compilation fails, see the end of the mail), I would like to
> > > suggest to keep the same policy for KDevelop libs as for kdelibs.
> > > Shortly: keep BC until Monday, announce BIC changes in time and if
> > > possible adapt the usage of applications (right now KDevelop and
> > > Quanta only) to the new interfaces. This is to have the whole KDE
> > > svn in a compilable state any time, as it was stated in the "New
> > > kdelibs policy starting monday" mail from Stephan Kulow on
> > > core-devel.
> >
> > I don't agree with this policy.  KDevelop4 is an app.
>
> No, KDevelop - the module - is a lib (platform) and an application. I'm
> waiting for the time when the lib is really moved into its own svn
> module as we discussed.
>
> No, it has TWO applications depending on it: KDevelop and Quanta.

Semantics. Yes, it has two if you count Quanta, but I wasn't aware that Quanta
was using the kdevelop4 "platform" at this time.  Moreover, the lib is
undergoing and will undergo huge changes.  Most everything we do in KDevelop4
right now is centered around changing and updating the lib.

> > The total number of
> > developers who are working on it I can count on one hand.  It would
> > slow everything down incredibly to make such an onerous policy.
>
> This is only for BIC changes and only for the lib part. Why would this
> slow down the process?

Because it is yet another hassle.  We're talking about a lib which has, at
most, two apps depending on it.  We're talking about a development team that
can be counted on one hand.  Why on earth do we need such a policy for such a
small development team.  I'm against bureaucracy for bureaucracy sake.. and
that is what this smells like.