KDevelop lib BIC changes

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Jul 19 20:44:56 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 23:40, Adam Treat wrote:
> It doesn't fail to compile.  Update your kdelibs.

I will and try it.

> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 4:29 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Seeing the recent commit of Adam Treat to KDevelop (and the fact
> > that compilation fails, see the end of the mail), I would like to
> > suggest to keep the same policy for KDevelop libs as for kdelibs.
> > Shortly: keep BC until Monday, announce BIC changes in time and if
> > possible adapt the usage of applications (right now KDevelop and
> > Quanta only) to the new interfaces. This is to have the whole KDE
> > svn in a compilable state any time, as it was stated in the "New
> > kdelibs policy starting monday" mail from Stephan Kulow on
> > core-devel.
>
> I don't agree with this policy.  KDevelop4 is an app.

No, KDevelop - the module - is a lib (platform) and an application. I'm
waiting for the time when the lib is really moved into its own svn
module as we discussed.

> The lib has
> essentially ONE app depending upon it.

No, it has TWO applications depending on it: KDevelop and Quanta.

> The total number of
> developers who are working on it I can count on one hand.  It would
> slow everything down incredibly to make such an onerous policy.

This is only for BIC changes and only for the lib part. Why would this
slow down the process?

Andras