Project config and KMessageBox' dontAskAgainName

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 14:15:08 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 23:53, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On 1/20/06, Hamish Rodda <rodda at kde.org> wrote:
> > If you're going to add this feature I think you should just run the make
> > command whenever it's indicated, regardless of detecting changes or not.
> > It would be difficult enough to emulate in in the build plugin, let alone
> > the debugger.  For most smaller projects a redundant make command is
> > pretty quick to execute.
>
> Hang on. Are you really suggesting to run 'make' every time the
> debugger is started to make sure the  binary is up-to-date??

If the option is selected, yes.

> This would add seconds to the debugger startup time even for a "hello
> world" program. Starting the debugger on a project the size of
> KDevelop's codebase would be something you would do your utmost to
> avoid - we could be talking minutes.

I'm quite aware of that, so I turn off automatic rebuilds for large projects.

> I haven't looked at how it's implemented, but doesn't the build
> manager already attempt to keep track of the codebase state, and only
> rebuild if "needed"?

I don't believe so, and I have done some hacking in that area (I added
project-already-running notification).

I don't mind what decision is made really, just so long as I have the option
not to be confronted with a dialog every time the debugger starts.

Cheers,
Hamish.