Purpose of "buildtools" .so and .la files

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:13:17 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Jeremy Laine <jeremy.laine at m4x.org> wrote:
> Hi Jens and thanks for answering!
>
> > What you are looking at are on-demand loaded plugins.
>
> Any idea why these files are in /usr/lib as opposed to all the other
> plugins that live in /usr/lib/kde3 ?

No idea. Let's make some more noise on the list, maybe someone knows.
ANYONE?! :)

> >> /usr/lib/libkdevautomakeimporter.so
> >> /usr/lib/libkdevautomakeimporter.la
> >> /usr/lib/libkdevcustomimporter.so
> >> /usr/lib/libkdevcustomimporter.la
> >> /usr/lib/libqmakeimporter.so
> >> /usr/lib/libqmakeimporter.la
> > These are used by the project wizard to setup kdevelop projects from
> > existing source.
>
> The strange thing is that when I remove the files, KDevelop still seem
> to behave the same, I am able to create/open/import automake managed
> projects just fine! I haven't yet tried for qmake project but I'll give
> it a try.

Aha. Then I'm probably mistaken about these. Maybe they're not part of
the wizard after all. Perhaps they come from that experimental new
build manager framework that Roberto created? Sorry, I have no access
to the code at the moment, so I just made an educated guess. (I'm sure
about the Code Completion plugins though.) In that case I don't think
they are actually in use anywhere yet.

// jens