in module source reorganization

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Sun Feb 19 16:05:07 UTC 2006

Hi!
On Friday 17 February 2006 21:05, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Adam (manyoso), Jens (teatime), and I (mattr) had a discussion in the
> #kdevelop IRC channel last night about some reorganizations we'd like to
> make to the kdevelop source tree in order to make things a bit more logical
> in terms of directory layout and here's at least the first round of changes
> we'd like to make:
>
> - rename parts to plugins
True

> - move the toplevel desktop files to their own directory called xdg
True

> - move any installed libraries (and their code) that are outside of the
> main lib directory to the main lib directory ( i.e. from
> kdevelop/languages/lib to kdevelop/lib/languages,
> kdevelop/src/profileengine/lib moves to
> kdevelop/lib/profileengine, etc.)

The idea of different lib/ directories was to separate "platform" stuff
which can be reused by other projects and interfaces and libraries
used only by a certain set of our own KDevelop plugins.

For example, things in languages/lib are used only by language plugin
so IMHO it's a good idea to keep them close to language plugins.
Same applies for other lib/ directories.

More, it seems that we've decided last year that we want plugins
to be able to export their own interfaces so we might see
<plugin>/lib/interfaces directories in our source tree.
This way we will not fill <top>/lib/interfaces with plugin-specific
stuff and keep our set of libs/interfaces as small as possible.

So basically I disagree about merging all lib/ directories.
The main reason is what I've tried to explain above - keep our
libs as small and as clean as possible. We have >70 plugins in KDevelop
and IMHO we don't have to put all libs those plugins use inside the
main lib directory.

> - languages and buildtools would move to the new plugins directory, since
> that's really what they are.

If you want to reduce the number of top-level dirs then I'd go for
Jens' and Adam's proposal:
 lib
 src
 plugins/tools