Support for distributed compiling in Kdevelop ( ask for help )

Kanniball o.kanniball.o at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 14:51:32 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 00:16, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 03.12.06 23:52:05, Kanniball wrote:
> > After spent hours bugging people on irc ( no my nick is not Kanniball ;)
> > ) I've decided to post here a call for help.
> > I know that devs are always busy, and sometimes answer this kind of
> > questions is not very pleasant.
> > My propose is to add support for both distcc and icecream.
>
> Then please include a short summary on what needs to be done to use
> distcc for a given project. I personally have no idea how either of
> these two works, but I do know my way through kdev's build support
> system...

for icecream:
	-> icecream PATH must be the first entry in $PATH
	-> to compile we must invoque: make CC=icecc -jx

for distcc:
	-> make -jx CC=distcc

I'm not sure, but if the user want's to use one of this, he must be aware of
the config, for example in distcc, where we need to specify the hosts.
But if we like to take care about this is simpler as:
export DISTCC_HOSTS='localhost red green blue'

> > But first of all, how should this be implemented, as a plug-in? as a
> > build tool?
>
> That depends on what needs to be done. If you only need to call make
> with special environment variables or command line switches, you can
> provide a menu-entry, an according slot in the existing build-system of
> your choice (or all).
>
> If you need more, I need more information on what needs to be done to
> use distcc or icecream.
>
> Andreas

in answer to Mathieu:
"a monitor would be nice ;)"

both backends already ships with monitors :)

in anser to  Andreas Pakulat:
"Hmm, thats only for C++ right?"

"distcc is a program to distribute builds of C, C++, Objective C or Objective
C++ code across several machines on a network"
About icecream i'm not sure, but I've already sent an email to confirm it, and
I will post in the list ASAP.

Best regards,

Paulo Fidalgo