Hang when loading a project

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Dec 1 19:01:26 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 20:50, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> See again, I just fixed it by switching from QProcess, which "stole"
> the signal-handler from your KProcess, to KProcess. This is not
> really the solution, but the real solution is anyways only available
> for kde4...

I was thinking about this, but I wanted to be sure it's not my fault.;-)
Actually this simply proves what was said on kde-(core?)devel, that you
should not mix QProcess and KProcess in one application. Unfortunately
(or not), KDevelop must use KProcess as it has a Konsole plugin.

I remember that there are still some other places using QProcess in
KDevelop, those might create similar problems as well (either with my
BlockingKProcess or with the Konsole plugin).

> > > Seems like the blocking process runs so long that the Ui doesn't
> > > get repainted. Not sure what can be done about it, though.
> >
> > But the idea reason of my blocking process is exactly that the UI
> > *is* repainted, because of a second Qt event loop is started. (And
> > in worse case should exit in 60 seconds).
>
> It does exit after 60 seconds, but it doesn't repaint the Ui when I
> use QProcess in the QMake manager.

That's strange, maybe the entire event loop is somehow broken there.

Andras