KDevFileManager performance

Jens Herden jens at kdewebdev.org
Fri Aug 18 13:31:01 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 06:54, Adam Treat wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Can we please put off this discussion.  There are bigger problems with the
> project API(s) and they'll need to be completely refactored I'm afraid.
> This is what currently happens:
>
> KDevProjectController is the controller, but all it really does at the
> moment is handle loading/unloading the KDevProjectManager_part.
> KDevProjectManager_part is the view, but it calls the importers to populate
> the data in a 'model'.  This model really isn't a model at all.  It needs
> to be rewritten to inherit QAbstractItemModel.

So I understand now that this part of KDevelop is not yet really ready for
usage by Quanta. Since I am right now at Andras place and we want to work as
much as possible in the next days/weeks on Quanta we would have two options:

1. jump into KDevelop development and try to implement what is needed for
Quanta

2. concentrate on Quanta internals that are more or less independed from
KDevelop

You could help us making this decision by answering the following questions:

Do you want us to help in KDevelop? Even if we would need some guidance to
fullfill a task?

Which areas in KDevelop are more or less stable already and could be used by
us without the risk of many changes in the future?

Is there any estimation when the unstable areas in KDevelop might become
stable?

Please understand that we do not want to put any pressure on anybody. We just
try to get the most of our limited time.

Jens