KDevFileManager performance

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Thu Aug 17 23:54:30 UTC 2006

Hi!

Can we please put off this discussion.  There are bigger problems with the
project API(s) and they'll need to be completely refactored I'm afraid.  This
is what currently happens:

KDevProjectController is the controller, but all it really does at the moment
is handle loading/unloading the KDevProjectManager_part.
KDevProjectManager_part is the view, but it calls the importers to populate
the data in a 'model'.  This model really isn't a model at all.  It needs to
be rewritten to inherit QAbstractItemModel.

Now, this is what _should_ be happening:

KDevProjectController is the controller and it should behave as such.  The
controller should be primarily responsible with populating (via the
importers), updating and changing the project model.  This model should
inherit QAbstractItemModel.  The KDevProjectManager_part should only be
responsible for displaying the model.  The only other thing it should do is
respond to user requests by forwarding those requests on to
KDevProjectController which should then update/change the model in accordance
with the user's requests.  That is how it should happen.

Note that this isn't only the project API(s).  The way KDevDocument is handled
is similarly messed up at the moment.  Right now KDevDocumentController
behaves like a true controller, but it stores it's data in QHash(s).  It
should directly populate a model that inherits QAbstractItemModel.
KDevDocument should be made to inherit KDevItemCollection and so on...

And then the DocumentView part should only be responsible for displaying the
model and forwarding on user requests to KDevDocumentController.  Right now,
DocumentView tries to capture all the signals of KDevDocumentController to
populate it's own model.  The view is playing intermediary between the
controller and the model.  Bad!

So, as you can see all of this needs to be reworked.  I have plans to do so,
but there are just so many things to do right now.

Adam