question about the new configuration framework

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 16:56:34 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 12:22 pm, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I understood right the new configuration stuff in KDevelop is based on
> kconfigXT now. So whenever I have a plugin that needs configuration I
> should create a *.kcfg and *.kcfgc file, right?

Yes.  However, if you don't want to use KConfigXT, you are not forced too.
Look at KDevEnvPreferences for a case of a KCM that does not use KConfigXT.

> So from what I know inside the *.kcfg file the name of the rc-file is
> written and the generated class gets this in the constructor. Does this
> mean that a plugin always saves its configuration in kdeveloprc if there is
> no project open?

Right now, yes.  This might change if we use KSettings plugin config desktop
files, but haven't gotten this far.

> From reading the code I understand that the configuration dialog looks for
> *.desktop files where the entry X-KDE-ParentApp is set to the instance name
> of the application. How can this work if the application is not kdevelop
> but something else?

Well, for now this is true.  The solution would be to use the KSettings plugin
config desktop files, however I don't know how this will work with our
current kdeveloprc/globalproject/localproject tri-party.

Adam