KDE/kdevelop

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Fri Aug 4 19:53:15 UTC 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 3:22 pm, mwoehlke wrote:
> Adam Treat wrote:
> > SVN commit 569772 by treat:
> >
> > Optimize project loading, document loading, and background parser.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > With no open documents at startup, I can still parse every file, all
> > 1268, at startup in under 1 minute.
> >
> > That's pretty fast.
>
> Hmm, an improvement, I guess? Still, I'd be much happier if it was under
> 15 *seconds*. My main project is almost 2000 files (although because I
> can't get 'add file to project' to work, they aren't all be in the
> project), so I have to deal with a similar - if not worse - delay. :-(
> Anyone have numbers on how long the same task on the same computer would
> takes without these changes?

Ok, if you don't have any open documents and you've already opened the project
before then it shouldn't need to parse all files on startup.  Besides, in
this case the backgroundparser works in the background.  The GUI is
responsive before it is completed.

When we get the static stuff in the parser sorted out we can use even more
threads which might make it faster.

If you choose to open 2000 documents on project start, then you really aren't
happy with it under a couple minutes?

> I gave Matt Rogers a callgrind dump from opening my project; did
> anything ever come of that?

I've talked about it with Matt a little.  He said that one of the things that
is eating away is the calls to KMimeType::findByUrl() i think.  I cache that
information now so it is only called once per doc.  We'll continue to try and
get better.

Adam