Shortcut problem: Ctrl-Enter

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Apr 20 08:57:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was trying to improve variable widget a bit, and run into a problem. The
bottom of the variable widget has a input line where user can type an
expression. To evaluate that expression, user can either just click Enter, or
click "Evaluate button", but to watch the expression, he has to click the
"Watch" button -- there's no keyboard access.

This is somewhat inconvenient, so I wanted to make "Ctrl-Enter" watch
expression. However, this is already a global shortcut for "show context
menu", set in editorproxy.cpp.

I've a number of questions:

1. Is there are way to override shortcut for variablewidget? I'm trying to add
keyPressEvent, but shortcut handling is done in event filter, so my method is
not even called.

2. Failing (1), does it make sense to have "Ctrl-Enter" shortcut work
globally. If I type "Ctrl-Enter" in variablewidget, then certainly showing
popup menu in *editor* is unexpected. Any approach to limiting the shortcut
only to editor windows?

3. Do we need this shortcut for popup menu at all?

- Volodya