Google Summer of Code 2006 Project proposals

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 19 19:13:18 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 10:55, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 06:37, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> The approach being taken by active developers is our internal parser, and
> we are confident that with time it will get up to scratch.  Currently I'm
> refactoring it from stdlib to qt, to make it more accessibile to myself and
> other developers for hacking.
>
> So unless there's someone willing to mentor a potentially competing method
> for parsing support (and kdevelop-pg will cover not just c++ but as many
> other languages as parser definitions are written) then the only SoC
> project on parsing + related features that makes sense to me is working on
> the internal stuff.

I think the problem can be divided into at least two parts:

1) getting the information out of the code
For this some kind of parser is needed.

2) Doing something useful with this information,
like autocompletion, jump to declaration/definition, show all uses, rename
function/member/variable etc.

Part 2 is still more than enough work. I just wondered whether we really have
to manpower to get both done.

Bye
Alex