Google Summer of Code 2006 Project proposals

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Apr 19 10:56:16 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 06:37, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 01:48, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As you may have heard/read, Google will be doing Summer of Code again for
> > 2006. I'd like those of you interested to think of ideas for projects
> > that could be done for KDevelop trunk. Depending on the project, some
> > projects could also be for KDevelop 3.4 as well, although I don't as of
> > yet know when we'll do the final release for that.
> >
> > Initially, we'll have to track projects here on the mailing list, and
> > I'll hopefully be able to move them to a wiki page soon.
>
> Since I won't have time for mentoring and I am too little involved in
> kdevelop development, I post it here:
>
> Currently KDevelop doesn't have reliable C++ code
> navigation/autocompletion/refactoring support.
>
> We have our own C/C++ parser with r++ (AFAIK). There are also other options
> to implement this, each with different pros and cons.
> As there are:
> -cscope/kscope
> -ctags
> -gcc-xml

While we appreciate the suggestion, these possibilities have been discussed
before and it all boils down to one point: code.

The approach being taken by active developers is our internal parser, and we
are confident that with time it will get up to scratch.  Currently I'm
refactoring it from stdlib to qt, to make it more accessibile to myself and
other developers for hacking.

So unless there's someone willing to mentor a potentially competing method for
parsing support (and kdevelop-pg will cover not just c++ but as many other
languages as parser definitions are written) then the only SoC project on
parsing + related features that makes sense to me is working on the internal
stuff.

Cheers,
Hamish.