gdb output window performance

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Apr 12 17:17:06 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 19:04, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 April 2006 17:54, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > The call to 'scrollToBottom' was commented just now, and has no
> > apparanent effect on performance. The 'm_gdbView' is QTextEdit.
> > Before I go and write my own GdbLogginWidgetImplementedAsQScrollArea,
> > maybe somebody knows any possible reason why QTextEdit is that slow?
>
> Well, I'm sure QTextEdit was not designed for this purpose ("QTextEdit
> is an advanced WYSIWYG viewer/editor supporting rich text formatting
> using HTML-style tags..."), unless you use in LogText mode. If you are
> already using that mode, I see no other solution, but make a faster
> logging widget.

Per Jens' suggestion, I've tried using:

    setTextFormat(LogText);

which has no noticable effect whatsoever. Maybe I can try disabling updates
for the widget, so that it does not repait itself on each gdb command, but if
that fails, I'll put together a small logging widget using QScrollArea.
Should not be very hard ;-)

- Volodya