Direction of KDevelop4

Sascha Cunz sascha.cunz at tiscali.de
Fri Sep 16 19:05:05 UTC 2005

Am Freitag 16 September 2005 16:56 schrieb Jens Dagerbo:
> 4 char width indentation is my personal preference, but with indenting with
> tabs and not spaces, the displayed width would be up to the user.. But I
> guess we don't want that discussion.. ;)

Jens, honestly, this is not the first time at all that i agree with you :)

However, this simply doesn't work in reality. Looking at
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kdevelop3/parts/appwizard/appwizarddlg.cpp?rev=453966&view=log
and changing the tab-width to 2, 4, 8 or whatever, you'll notice:

1) about 75% of the lines scale fine.
2) about 5% of the lines are continuation lines that do not scale
   (looking like "\t\t\t  moreCodeGoesHere );")
3) about 19% of the lines do not scale, because someone edited them with
   kate configured to not insert "\t" on tab while missing mode-lines.
   These are pretty out of indentation. (I admit that some of those can be
   blamed to me)
4) about 1% of the lines does not scale at all but looks still stylish
   (This is the about 20 line fragment of code which is indented with
   2 spaces each level)

For 1) I doubt anybody cares about those.
For 2) These lines are the real problem. I know that some parts of kdepim
enforce this style.
For 3) this error can be avoided by the mode-lines.
For 4) this is the least practical one. It is not scaleable at editor-side.

I'm about to suggest to add a "reindent" shell-script to each directory. Then
any server could chechout kdevelop on a daily basis, run those scripts and
check them in again. This shell script would just contain a call to "indent".

Cheers Sascha