[offtopic] Re: Direction of KDevelop4

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Sep 14 19:41:05 UTC 2005

> i grade style
> anyway, so the students lose points for [...] inconsistent
> indenting, etc.

AFAICT 99.9% of what it takes to get indents right is to run the code through
an automatic tool. So, for those who knew it, you'd be grading the tool
authors, rather than your students. Heck, to be fair, I'd run all the code
through a tool that indents things my way, and never look at the original
code, just to prevent any bias of the "it's not indented my way" sort. And
I'd also have a tool remove all the comments, also to level the playing field
some more, and automatically enforce the self-documenting code concept. If
you don't see the comments, they'd better write it self-documenting ;)

I'm sure you grade other things as well, but since nice indentation is really
in the eye of the beholder, that you even admit publically to grading it at
all is pretty sad. At least I think of it that way.

Cheers, Kuba