GDB/MI (Was: Embedded development)

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 11:09:04 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 10:50, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
>
> > In KDevelop4 I would like to split the GUI from the GDB-support. The idea
> > is to reuse the GUI to integrate different debuggers. As I said before I
> > want to avoid code duplication and cut&paste int KDevelop4.
>
> Yes, me too. But in fact, the only code duplication we have is with Ruby,
> and it will be hard to merge both debuggers. And I'm still sceptical of the
> idea that we can implement, say, Python debugger, using the same interface.
Yes, I'm not sure whether it's possible to combine gdb with dynamic langauages
in a debugger. ActiveState have designed a language independent protocol for
talking to debuggers for dynamic languages (XML based when I had a quick
look). I certainly think a python debugger, and better python support  with
some project templates etc, should be an important target for KDevelop4, if
we have someone to do it.

We could design our own debugger independent protocol for python/ruby perhaps
if it would speed up development. Eric3 has both ruby and python debuggers,
and a common front end so it might be possible to look there for inspiration.

-- Richard