Direction of KDevelop4

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:48:03 UTC 2005

On Monday 12 September 2005 11:16 am, Adam Treat wrote:

> > > Yah, well, commenting it with "produce reasonable result for QString"
> > > is just the type of useless comment I'm talking about.  It explains
> > > nothing and just takes up space ;)
> >
> > Exactly. But note that "produce reasonable result for QString" is comment
> > you just made up yourself and not the comment I would have ever used.
> > Especially that words "reasonable", as well as "appropriate" are exactly
> > the signs of obscure comments.
>
> Hey, funny man.  Look above.  I just quoted you!  "The answer (producing
> reasonable result for QString)" ... that was _your_ answer for what the
> code does! ;)

Yes, but he did not say that was the text of the comment he'd write.  The
shorthand "producing a reasonable result for QString" is a reasonable thing
to say on this mailing list, so we (including lurkers like me), get the gist
of the conversation and he (Vladimir) didn't have to (painstakingly,
presumably) produce the precise comment he would include in the code.

(Off Point: Of course, if I were writing the code, my "first draft" of a
comment might be "producing a reasonable result for QString", but hopefully I
(or somebody else) would fairly quickly convert that to a more "appropriate"
comment. ;-)

Randy Kramer