Direction of KDevelop4

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 17:12:02 UTC 2005

On Monday September 12 2005 10:47 am, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2005 18:34, Adam Treat wrote:
> > > I disagree.  As I said, often the code is clear, but the motivation of
> > > the code is not. Say, this code in gdb reply processing:
> > >
> > >     QCString r(buf);
> > >     r.replace( QRegExp("\\\\000|\\\\0"), "" );
> > >
> > > is absolutely clear, but why it's there. The answer (producing
> > > reasonable result for QString), is not at all obvious, and requires
> > > comment. There's no problem with the code, but comment is needed. I see
> > > many such cases.
> >
> > Yah, well, commenting it with "produce reasonable result for QString" is
> > just the type of useless comment I'm talking about.  It explains nothing
> > and just takes up space ;)
>
> Exactly. But note that "produce reasonable result for QString" is comment
> you just made up yourself and not the comment I would have ever used.
> Especially that words "reasonable", as well as "appropriate" are exactly
> the signs of obscure comments.

Hey, funny man.  Look above.  I just quoted you!  "The answer (producing
reasonable result for QString)" ... that was _your_ answer for what the code
does! ;)

> > But, now I know if I'm ever bugfixing your code I'll just write:
> >
> > if(something){blah blah blah;}for ( blah ){ blah blah blah; }while ( foo
> > ) {blah }
>
> You take it way to far. I did not say indentation is useless. All I did say
> is that the above three indent styles are all the same. And there are much
> serious problems than moving braces around.

You are the only one I know who is comfortable with braces and indents being
flung around all over the place.

> > > Your own, I guess.

I did not put any words in your mouth.  You said that it was up to me what
coding style I use in any code in kdevelop svn.

Vladimir, "Your own, I guess"

You said coding style was very subjective and therefore it was up to each
individual.  That's what _you_ said.

> - Volodya

I'm running a Marathon in December!
HELP ME SAVE LIVES and Donate Today!