Debugging with KDevelop

Francesco Montorsi f18m_cpp217828 at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 26 00:38:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> May I join in with debugger wishes?
>
> 1) Appearance: Hide the "watched variables" entry if no variables are watched.
> I have the variable view on the bottom edge of the KDevelop window, and it
> takes ridiculous much space (two parent items, "Expression to watch" needing
> two lines while being wide as can be - obviously this was only designed as
> left-edge view) so there is maybe space for 3 variables where 5 or 6 should
> fit in. Also, could you please auto-expand the local variables item or maybe
> remember its "expanded" state?
I completely agree. I moved the variables window to the bottom edge, too and I have your
same problem (I'm using 3.2 too).

In general, I think that screen space must be used wisely: you want to give to the user
the possibility to add as many variables as possible to its debugger windows and thus all
the useless GUI elements should be removed.

> 2) Behaviour: When stepping and returning from a function, KDevelop
> respectively gdb immediately advance to the next executed statement.
> VC++ on the other hand inserts one do-nothing step where it just gets the
> highlight back to the originally called function. This is great, as you can
> for example have a function call like
> do( bee(), dooah() );
> and you want to step down into dooah(). With the current approach, you have to
> get to the last line of bee() and press the step down key there, otherwise
> you step on to the line after do(). With the VC++ approach, you'd get the
> do() line highlighted again and can select there if you want to step down
> again or step over this line.
I completely agree again.

Francesco