Debugging with KDevelop

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Oct 24 18:38:02 UTC 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 11:36, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Monday 24 October 2005 13:24, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > I have the variable view on the bottom edge of the KDevelop
> > window, and it takes ridiculous much space (two parent items, "Expression
> > to watch" needing two lines while being wide as can be - obviously this
> > was only designed as left-edge view) so there is maybe space for 3
> > variables where 5 or 6 should fit in.
>
> Take a look at
> http://zigzag.cs.msu.su/~ghost/kdevelop3.3/variables_window.png (KDevelop
> 3.3 snapshot). There's no "Expression to watch" label at all.
>
> > Also, could you please auto-expand the local
> > variables item
>
> It's auto-expanded.

Man, I really should've tried with 3.3 instead of 3.2. Sorry to have wished
what already has been fixed. (But then again, the "Expression to watch" label
has been replaced by the two "Evaluate" and "Watch" buttons which require
one additional line as well.)

> > 2) Behaviour: When stepping and returning from a function, KDevelop
> > respectively gdb immediately advance to the next executed statement.
> > VC++ on the other hand inserts one do-nothing step where it just gets the
> > highlight back to the originally called function. This is great, as you
> > can for example have a function call like
> > do( bee(), dooah() );
> > and you want to step down into dooah(). With the current approach, you
> > have to get to the last line of bee() and press the step down key there,
> > otherwise you step on to the line after do(). With the VC++ approach,
> > you'd get the do() line highlighted again and can select there if you
> > want to step down again or step over this line.
>
> I don't quite understand this. If you select "step out" while inside "bee"
> you should return to the "do" line.

I'll try again later and file a wish if it should still not be working.

Thanks,
  Jakob