Java grammar licensing (was: Re: KDevelop / Bachelor thesis)

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Oct 23 15:08:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 12:23, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 13:33, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > Should I derive from the KDevelop Java grammar or take another one?
> > Did I forget something important to ask?
>
> you may want to use this one

https://javacc.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentView?documentID=3131&showInfo=true

I started wondering if there aren't any legal implications when deriving the
new Java parser from this grammar. Its license doesn't seem to be very
friendly to usage in open source (shown further down in this email).

I'll ask the OSDL people if it's possible to use it anyhow, because after all
I'm not copying anything but only transcribing the rules. On the other hand,
you could easily call that copying or stealing intellectual property too.

So, maybe I should just derive from the ANTLR parser, which is also the
current Java parser in KDevelop (only our version is at Java 1.3 or so,
whereas there's already a 1.5 version).

What do you think? Any experiences?

Thanks,
  Jakob