KDevelop 3.4 release

Amilcar do Carmo Lucas amilcar at ida.ing.tu-bs.de
Fri Oct 21 16:26:03 UTC 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 15:07, Nicolas Castagné wrote:

> First of all, for a newcomer, let me say the
> version numbering of KDevelop is really confusing
What is confusing about it ???
After 3.0 comes 3.1, and then 3.2 and then 3.3
:)

> Kdevelop 3.2* was released along with KDE 3.4.
> KDevelop 3.3* (currently 3.2.92) is to be relased along with KDE3.5.
yes.

> Should I conclude that KDevelop 3.4 you are
> speaking about, Amilcar, is to be released allong
> with KDE... 3.6 ?
No, KDevelop 3.4 will not be released together with a KDE version, it will ba
a "standalone" release.

> Basically, these differences in numbering are confusing.
> It seems that KDevelop is the only K-Project that
> has such a specific version numbering (see
> http://www.kde.org/info/3.4.3.php).
No, other projects also have it. Quanta for example had it until recently.

> Now, concerning your question Amilcar, I would
> assume that a large number of Kdevelop users
> often wanna upgrade their KDevelop without
> upgrading KDE (at least I do often !).
> Consequently, there is a need to use an older KDE API.
yes.
KDE 3.2 would be nice.
But the developres do not use KDE 3.2 so it's impossible to make sure that it
will work fine on KDE 3.2 or older.

> If KDevelop 3.4 is to be released with "KDE 3.6",
> which AFAIK is not planned, then I would say, as
> a user, that using KDE 3.4 would be ok, since it
> was first released in March 2005.
Yes, it is not too old but also not too new, that was my rationale.
Besides that, KDevelop 3.4 and KDE 3.4 makes sence!! :)

> A question, however : is KDE 3.* libs really 'upward compatible' ?
yes.

--
Amilcar Lucas
Current webmaster