Qt4 support

Nicolas.Castagne at imag.fr Nicolas.Castagne at imag.fr
Fri Oct 21 12:22:02 UTC 2005

On october, 10th (before I suscribed to this list) Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote :
>KDevelop 3.3.x claims (see features on the website):
>support for QT4, different code is generated for Qt3.x and Qt4.x projects
>My questions are:
>1) is there a template for Qt4 projects? It seems no, so this should be
>clarified that the current templates are for qt3. If there is a kdevelop
>3.4,
>it'll need a qt4 template in my opinion.
>2) In Project Options, C++ Specific, Qt tab, what does the Setting of Qt4
>pointing to the Qt 4 dir does here? If QTDIR is set to point to Qt3 then
>this choice does nothing.
>3) Is the QTDIR to be set in Project Options -> Make Options to point to
>qt4 to bypass the system QTDIR?
>I'd like to know how it works so I can make a short tutorial or a FAQ
>entry to help confused users....
>Thanks for any insight,
>Anne-Marie

I am precisely in the process of learning how to use QT4 in KDE branch
3.5* (3.5 beta 2 currently). Not so easy indeed ;)

A few remarks for Kdevelop development and QT4 :

1/ I also think we do need one day a QT4 template.

2/ the effects of project option / C++ / Qt / use QT4 are not really
clear... On my config, the qmake 3 and uic 3 were still used for
compiling, even when selecting QT4 and entering the correct path to QT4...

3/ It seems that QT3 designer is not compatible with QT3 uic.
Consequently, the fact that .ui files in kdevelop open QT3 designer is a
problem. If it is not possible to incorporate QT4 designer as a plug in to
Kdevelop, it would be nice to use QT4 designer when using the
OpenWith/QTDesigner in the contextual menu of .ui files.

Now, as ANne-Marie pointed, I did not find appropriate 'how to' on this
question, and I really find it quite hard.

I really think that a small tutorial would be very useful, since KDevelop
3.* will go on for a while, and Qt 4 will be more and more used.

I wish I may help in writing this tutorial, if needed.

Here is the few WWW pointers I found :
- links to the modification in Kdevelop sources :
http://www.kdevelop.org/phorum5/read.php?2,28510
- mails with a few insights in a users' method :
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt4-preview-feedback/2005-07/thread00124-0.html
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2005-09/msg00178.html
(following you question 3, Anne-Marie, and according to the latest the
QTDIR variable should not be redefined in the user config. files, but in
the kdevelop project itself).

... and that's all !

Well... Far from being sufficient indeed.

Any one has other insight on HOWTO use QT4 in kdevelop 3.5* ?

Anne-Marie, feel free to write to me privately if you wish to coordinate a
common work.

All the best,
Nicolas