KDevelop / Bachelor thesis

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Thu Oct 6 13:20:08 UTC 2005

Hi Jakob!

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 13:33, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Monday 03 October 2005 20:46, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > I'm meeting the prof on Wednesday, which is when I propose the topic to
> > him and get to know if he's alright with it.
>
> Yeah, well, he is, I'm in.
great!

> He meant it would be best to just concentrate on the parser because it's
> enough work for the course, which will consist of converting an ANTLR Java
> grammar to kdevelop-pg format, processing the generated AST with an example
> program which outputs the original source again, and verifying all that
> with countless test cases. Any objections or comments on that?
no problem! but I hope you'll continue to work on Java support after your
thesis :-) you know we don't want to have unmaintained code in the KDevelop
repository.

> As for the plan, I now need to do a short description of the upcoming work
> (what I intend to do, and how) and a list of mile stones with a schedule.
>
> Roberto:
> Is there some documentation on the kdevelop-pg grammar format?
no :-) but kdevelop-pg is distributed with two examples :-) anyway, the format
is very simple. I will try to write a short a description in the next days.

> (I guess there's none, but maybe I'm wrong?)
> Which kind of grammar is it (LR, LL, LALR, ...)?
it's is LL(1) with syntactic predicates. You can use predicates to implement
things like backtracking or LL(K)

> Should I target Java 1.4 or 1.5?
1.5 :-)

> Should I derive from the KDevelop Java grammar or take another one?
> Did I forget something important to ask?
you may want to use this one
https://javacc.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentView?documentID=3131&showInfo=true

> If you got hints for me how to do it best (which steps to take, how to test
> the grammar, or pointing me to obvious beginner faults) I'd certainly be
> glad to get help.
my hint is
  Ask question to kdevelop-devel :-) we will try to answer as best as possible
and we can use your experience for documenting the programming language
framework

ciao robe