User actions/toolbars plugin

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed May 18 12:01:21 UTC 2005

> Hi Andras,
>
>> So should I drop the idea of making this a plugin and integrate into
the main shell? Anyway this would be a core plugin/functionality. The
question is which mainwindow implementation should I pick up. ;-)

> please do not do this. Let us see how we can find a solution. I am sure
there
> is a way to do this without touching KDevelop at all.

I'm not so sure, but if we find, I'll be happy.

> Looking around in the docs let's me think in this direction:
>
> 1. We want to have one toolbar with a tab widget inside
>
> possible solution: create an empty toolbar in the xml file of the plugin
and
> add the tab widget manually in the plugin.

Sure, we can do this. It is possible to add any widget to a toolbar, but
in this case you cannot configure the user toolbars with the standard
Configure Toolbars dialog, as for the user toolbar there will appear only
one item: the widget on the toolbar holding the other toolbars.

> 2. we want to create a toolbar but this should not appear like a normal
toolbar in the mainwindow.

> possible solution: since the user toolbar is a KXMLGuiClient it has a
method
> setClientBuilder(). In theory we can add our own builder here that gets
used
> when kmainwindow's factory builds the toolbar. In this custom builder
you overwrite the addClient() method like in Quanta's mainwindow.

I'm not sure this will solve the above problem.

> If you create a tabwidget object that inherits from KXMLGUIBuilder you
can easily add the created toolbar directly to the tab.

> If this is well done we might add a configuration switch so that the
user can
> decide if s/he wants to use the tabwidget or let the toolbars appear
like normal toolbars in the main window. We only have to use our own
builder or the builder from the mainwindow.

> Does this sound feasible for you?

If it solves the configuration problem, yes. You know, it would be pitty
to loose such functionality as it saves a lot of code, as we don't need to
deal differently with the user toolbars and the actions on it from the
rest of the toolbars.

Andras