my first kdevelop plugin

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Sun May 15 23:03:24 UTC 2005

On Sunday 15 May 2005 17:12, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Sunday 15 May 2005 10:35, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > I compiled and will try later today. Now I have to go.
>
> Stupid question follows: how can I enable the plugin? It's installed
> (both the module and the desktop file), but doesn't appear as a plugin
> in the project options.

Very short answer:
You have to run kdevprofileeditor and add ProjectViews
property to the KDevelop IDE profile.

Short answer:
The projectviews plugin defines
X-KDevelop-Properties=ProjectViews
which is, of course, correct. But no KDevelop profile declares that it will
load ProjectViews.
You have to define either ProjectFileManagement or GlobalFileManagement
to have it loaded by KDevelop IDE profiles.

Long answer:
Each plugin defines properties that it "supports". Each platform plugin
profile defines its own list of properties also.
When the platform application runs (like kdevelop) it sets its own
plugin profile and loads all plugins which support properties defined in
a profile.

For example, running "kdevelop" from the shell will bring you KDevelop IDE
which is running in its default "KDevelop IDE" profile.
As you can see in kdevprofileeditor, "KDevelop IDE" profile defines a list
of properties. ProjectFileManagement and GlobalFileManagement are there
but ProjectViews is not. Therefore, projectviews plugin will be ignored by
the application and not loaded.
In this particular case projectviews plugin should not probably define its
own "ProjectViews" property but use ProjectFileManagement or
GlobalFileManagement instead. Most likely it should be ProjectFileManagement.

PS: plaftorm plugin profiles are the way to make platform applications to
say "hey, i need that and that functionality". Properties are the way
for a plugin to say "hey, I support this, you can load me".

--
Alexander Dymo
ICST Department, National University of Shipbuilding, Mykolayiv, Ukraine