current state of using cmake to compile kdevelop

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun May 8 23:40:08 UTC 2005

On Sunday 08 May 2005 22:46, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> > I don't know why do we use libtool at the first place. And convenience
> > static libs sound not really important for me. Can we use usual static
> > libs without libtool? Can we load plugins with dlopen instead of
> > ltdlopen?
>
> Everybody uses libtool because of portability issues. Libtool is a pain in
> the ass, but not having it is worse (unfortunately)

Yes, I heard this.
But which are exactly the portability issues ?
It may very well be possible that cmake also takes care of them.
At least it can create static and shared libs on all major platforms (linux,
mac os X, windows, and the other unix variants).

For plugins: the .la-files also list the libraries the plugin depends on so
that they can be loaded to when the plugin is loaded. I don't know how this
works without the la-files (but they can also be created using cmake and some
custom macros I think).

Bye
Alex