kdevelop/languages/cpp

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 12:49:05 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 6:01 am, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> > so? we have a public mailing list. Alexander is not the only one that has
> > _right_ on the code.
>
> I'm very much with roberto on this one. And besides that it was _his_ code.

It wasn't just Roberto's code.  The formatting was messed up all over
languages/cpp with several different coding styles all over the place.  Some
files exhibited multiple coding styles in the very same file.  So, we are
left with a situation where the coding style is inconsistent in individual
files, not to mention the whole of the cpp language part.  There was no way
to tell what the 'correct' style was and no way to tell who was responsible
for which coding styles.

Now at least the style is consistent.  That's all that really matters for me.
If I'm going to be working on the code without making my eyes bleed and
giving me renewed migraines every 15 minutes I just want some consistent
formatting.  If not for all of kdevelop (which really would be nice you know)
then at least across major sub modules like languages/cpp and the like and
for chrissakes I think formatting in a file should be consistent.

The only real debatable problem is the problem with cvs merges, but even
Roberto says it isn't really a problem.

> > > something we both agreed on, in addition to making the formatting
> >
> > just a stupid question. Why tabs? I think, but maybe I'm wrong,
> > KDevelop/C++ is the only project in KDE using tabs and not spaces. This
> > is very annoying for me.. you know, I have "replace tabs with spaces"
> > checked in Kate :)
>
> Me too. No tabs please, tabs made sense in the old computer days to save a
> couple of bytes per line, but nowadays they just messthings up.
> I'm also a "replace tabs with spaces" fan.

FWIW, I don't like tabs either, but do you want to go through another major
cvs change formatting it to all spaces?  All this pining for spaces makes me
think that the problem wasn't the cvs diffs it is just individual developers
griping that their preffered formatting style wasn't the chosen one.  If so,
get over it as at least the situation is now consistent.  Whatever the style,
it is better than the horror that was the formatting across languages/cpp.