My running wishlist of KDevelop

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Sat Jun 4 16:08:04 UTC 2005

Here's more.  Some of them far less significant than others.
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3b5//EN"
> "/usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/4.3/docbookx.dtd">
> <book>
> 	<title>KDevelop C++ Part Wishlist</title>
> 	<chapter>
> 		<title>KDevelop C++ Part Wishlist</title>
> 		<itemizedlist>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Extensionless header filename support</title>
          <para>
            Some projects such as OSG use header files with no
            extension on the filename.  Currently KDevelop does not
            support these header files. I know of the following
            problems related to using extensionless header filenames:
            <itemizedlist>
              <listitem>
                <para>
                  When these files are opened in the editor, they are
                  treated as plain text. The syntax highlighting can
                  be made to work, but the type of the file cannot be
                  set to C++.  This means that the other support
                  features such as code completion, reformatting,
                  class and member creation, etc., do not work.
                </para>
              </listitem>
              <listitem>
                <para>
                  There is no way to create header files without
                  filename extensions using either the prject manager
                  or the new class dialog.
                </para>
              </listitem>
              <listitem>
                If such a file is added to the project using the project
                manager, it is still treated as plain text.
              </listitem>
            </itemizedlist>
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Viewing inherited class members</title>
          <para>
            Currently there is no way to view the complete collection
            of members of a derived class, includeing the baseclass
            members.  It would be useful to have that
            ability. Ideally, this would go in the class browser.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Open .kdevelop as XML</title>
          <para>
            This is a minor issue.  It would be nice if the .kdevelop
            file for a project were automatically treated as XML by
            KDevelop when opened.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Modifying declaration and definiont as a unit.</title>
          <para>
            Though we can create member functions and have the
            declaration added to the header, and the definition to the
            source file, there is currently no way to modify the
            function declaration and definion as a unit.  One approach
            would be to extract both the definion and declaration from
            the current header and source where they are defined, and
            display the composite in a small exitor window.  If
            possible, this should also bring any doxygen comments into
            sync with the modifications to the funciton.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Parameter initialization should only be added to the
declaration.</title>
          <para>
            If a member function is created using the Add Method
            dialog, and a parameter of the function is given a default
            value, the default is written to both the declaration and
            the definiton.  It should only be written to the defition.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Open Makefile.am from the project manager.</title>
          <para>
            There shoud be an option in the project manager to open
            and edit the Makefile.am associated with the current
            subproject.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Emacs-style indentation.</title>
          <para>
            If you know what it is, and have used it, you know what I
            mean, and why I want it.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Better view of current environment</title>
          <para>
            It should be possible to view a list of all variables from the
environment in
            which KDevelop is running, and to select an individual
            variable to display its value.  This would help the
            programer determine what is in the various variables used
            by the compiler, preprocessor, etc.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>Header filename completion</title>
          <para>
            This works for header files within the project, but does
            not work for the entire include path.  It would probably
            be best to have a means of registering certain directories
            as sources of headers to include in the current project,
            rather than the entire include path.  For example, if the
            current project is using an SDK such as OpenSceneGraph,
            the OpenSceneGraph include directory would be added to a
            list of places to look for header filenames.  The, of
            course, should add any relative directory names as well,
            e.g., #include <osgGA/GUIEventHandler>
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <formalpara>
          <title>GCC output de-mangler</title>
          <para>
            The output form GCC is hard to read, in part because it
            repeats the error: and warning: tags are repeted in
            multiline messages.  If the error messages could be
            reformatted to remove those, it would make them easier to read.
          </para>
        </formalpara>
      </listitem>
    </itemizedlist>