Assembler view

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Thu Jun 2 09:08:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 03:33 pm, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 June 2005 21:13, Amilcar do Carmo Lucas wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 June 2005 17:35, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > the kdbg debugger has a nice feature: each source line has a "+" near
> > > it, and clicking on "+" shows asm source for that C++ source line. (See
> > > http://zigzag.cs.msu.su/~ghost/asm_view.png for a snapshot).
> > >
> > > Anybody knows if it is possible to implement the same in KDevelop?
> >
> > You could try to convince the kdbg developer to port it to the new
> > KDevelop platform:
> > http://www.kdevelop.org/HEAD/doc/platform/html/index.html
>
> 1. Does that sound like a desirable thing to main developers? I mean,
> throwing out kdevelop's current debugger support and using kdbg instead? If
> that's the universal opinion, then I should not spend time on current
> debugger support.

I think he meant to port the relevant parts of the code, not replace our
support in whole.

> 2. The problem is that kdevelop uses Kate for text editor, so the primary
>    question is whether Kate allows to add such expandable assembler
>    annotations in an easy way. Even if kdbg is converted into kdev plugin
> -- I'd need to show assembler in the same windows where the text is.

There's a very good chance that kate for kde 4 will either have this, or
something with the equivalent capability.  I'm interested in this so that we
can have tight integration with kcachegrind.

For now it could just be put in an output view.

Cheers,
Hamish.