MS Visual Studio project manager

JeDi jeroen.dierckx at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:58:06 UTC 2005

On 7/27/05, Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This would be an interesting plugin.  If you really want to have an easier
> time of things you may wish to look at the "Project Manager".  This is the
> new interface (and the one that will be preserved for KDevelop4) so that all
> project managers can be manipulated genericly.  It should support most things
> that the VC project manager supports.  The only thing you will have to
> implement on your end will be the interaction with the C compilers.  VS
> projects are a full build system, while KDevelops project files are nothing
> more than wrappers around the native build system be it QMake or Autotools.
>
> None the less, this would be interesting because it would at minimum give us a
> VS build manager on linux, as well as a migration path from VS.

Is there already some documentation about the new project management
system? I had a quick look at the code, and at first sight it seems
very readable, but some high-level documentation would be even better.

Is the new project management system already used in the current
version of kdevelop? Or how would I be able to test it? I'm very busy
right now, so I'm targetting this build system for kdevelop4. I'm not
planning a release with the old project manager (or it should be very
easy to port afterwards).

If I find some documentation, and I understand the kdevelop project
management code well enough, I will investigate how hard this will be,
and post my ideas and problems about the implementation.

Greetz,
JeDi