New parser branch (Was: Dumping the source DOM?)

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Wed Jul 13 13:06:07 UTC 2005

Hi!

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 12:41, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> So:
> 1. You do care about things like code refactoring and your parser will
> support that.
yes

> 2. You don't care if you parser can handle Boost. So basically, you're not
> trying to making your parser accept all possible C++ code, but only C++
> subset you're interested in?
it's all about priorities. I'm going to implement the features I need. Boost
is not a priority for me. Again, PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND that it is
*impossible* to accept all the possible valid C++ code in KDevelop.
IDEs work different than compilers. For instance, you can't force a developer
to write before the "HEADER FILE" than the "SOURCE FILE", than run
"./configure" generates the makefile(s) because the parser needs the "paths
and the libraries" than parse "everything" so wait *a lot of time*, and than
finally popup the code completion list box(.. and do it again for every
keypress).

We needs to understand/recover incorrect code. What do you think will be the
output of gcc-xml if the source code in the KDevelop's texteditor looks like

class X {
   void hello()
   {
        yy.             <<--- your cusrsor is here
        a_method_call_here();

a parser for a compiler expects complete code, while an IDE works on
incomplete code. So we're not interested in well-formed source code. We're
not writing a compiler.

ciao robe