Dumping the source DOM?

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Sat Jul 2 12:27:02 UTC 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 05:40, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > I'm interested in the new method dialog and, etc.
>
> Why does this require information about existing methods?

Technically speaking, creating new methods doesn't require information about
existing methods.  An XML DTD or schema could be used to from the basis of a
more complete method creation dialog widget.  What I envision is being able
to not only create new member funcitons[*], but also to edit both the
declaration and the implementation of existing member functions with a single
widget that will synchronize changes.

My reasons for asking if it is possible to dump the DOM were twofold.  One was
so that I might examine what the XML representation looks like, and the other
was so that I might gain a better understanding of exactly what parts of
KDevelop are involved.  As a third motivation, I guess I also wanted to get
others thinking about this so that they might examine all these issues.

Having access to the DOM would also be useful in implementing such
functionality as detecting member initialization order inconsistencies, and
even generating member initialization list in the first place.

It might also facilitate better representation of inheritance, such as showing
inherited methods and values in the class browser.

[*]Stroustrup reserves the term "method" for pure virtual member functions.
When discussing C++ I try to follow this.
--
Regards,
Steven