KDevelop 3.3 release schedule

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 16:46:06 UTC 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 10:10 am, Adam Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 10:04 am, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > On Friday 29 July 2005 05:04 pm, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > At this point I'd like to ask developers whether we're following
> > > KDE 3.5 release?
> > >
> > > My personal opinion is that we should not do that. Feature freeze
> > > on 1st August is too close and we still do not have:
> > > 1) many patches from this mailing list applied
> > > 2) new qmake manager (work in progress)
> > > 3) polished simple ideal mode (splitting doesn't work correctly in all
> > > cases)
> > > 4) did i forget smth more?
> > >
> > > Currently IMHO we've almost nothing to release as KDevelop 3.3.
> > > I'd like to propose then that we plan 3.3 release somewhere in November
> > > or December so we could finish all features we want.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > I agree with November.  I would like to take some time at Malaga to
> > finish QMake support.  What is missing is the ability to sync changes
> > back to the disk, then it is pretty much "as good as it can get".   If
> > anyone else has time or energy to help with that prior, it is about 2
> > weeks of concentrated work.  We also need to address the current code
> > completion, it seems that it is too sensitive compared to the older 3.1
> > version.  It seems to work for me most of the time, but I cannot figure
> > out if its katepart or KDevelop that makes it try to do codecompletion in
> > comments, or in the middle of words.
>
> This was something I was working on.  But, I stopped the code completion
> improvements because I didn't know where it was leading.  I don't think it
> will be hard to fix in the case of trying to complete in comments.
> Although I thought I'd already fixed that.... maybe a regression.
I think its "Yet another cornercase" issue to be honest.  At this point lets
assume that 3.x will keep as it is with respects to code completion.  The
fact of the matter is that it will be at least a year, if not two before
KDevelop 4 is out.  We should continue to improve things the best we can
without radical changes.  We are at a critical point with respects to v4 vs
v3, since basicly we cannot use Qt4 as is to make KDE 4, and have been told
to wait for 4.1.  Meanwhile its a great idea to keep working (experimenting)
in v4 land, but try to keep progress in v3 land.  I know resources are taxed,
but I think the big thing to do is to NOT introduce major new features into
KDevelop 3x unless they will ease porting, and to refine what is there and
forward port where we can.

> > Adam, maybe we need a hack session?  Do you want to get together here
> > before or after malaga? or at the Desktop meeting in october?  Matt will
> > be there too, so maybe we can arrange a day of hacking after the
> > conference.
>
> Sure.  Before Malaga will be difficult, but we can either do it in between
> Malaga and OSDW or just wait for OSDW.
Okay, lets see if we cannot organize something in October.  I think it really
depends on what we see come out of Malaga.

Cheers
 -ian reinhart geiser