kdevelop starting/closing performance issues

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 21:24:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm using kdevelop from kde 3.4 among others on a PIII/450 256 MB.
Two things are slow:
1) starting kdevelop

It seems most of the time is spent loading the files. AFAIK for every file a
kate/kwrite part is created and loaded. Is actually also the plugin
dlopen()ed for each file again ? I guess also each of the source files is
parsed, for highlighting, the class tree etc.
It could be much faster if the files were loaded on demand at the moment when
the file becomes the first time the active document. But this seems to be
problematic with kate/kwrite part design.

2) closing kdevelop

This can take almost as long as opening all the files. It seems that for every
file which is closed a lot of stuff is going on. Can there something be done
about this ?
With maybe 50 open files this can take up to maybe 20 seconds ( I didn't
measure, but it's more than 10 seconds).

Bye
Alex