Improving the KDevelop UI

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Sat Apr 16 10:10:07 UTC 2005

> > As from KDevelop 3.1 debugger views will appear only while the debugger
> > is executing.
>
> I get breakpoints, debugger toolbar, etc. even when not in debugger. This
> is in 3.2.

The start debugging icon and the breakpoints tab are required when in your
"editing" mode.  The reason for this is that even whilst you are changing the
code you can set breakpoints. Then you just need to start debugging with a
single click of the debugging icon. We shouldn't rely on the icon bar in the
edit window to be able to set breakpoints as you may wish to set breakpoints
in ways other than file:line. The other debug icons arn't needed when in
"editing" mode.

Also whilst debugging you should also be able to edit the code without
changing modes. I'd find having to change a mode to edit my files very
clumsy.

> > Didn't we move watch window to the bottom?... I have to check.
>
> It's now called "Variables", but still on the left side.

Its still on the left. Perhaps this should be changed - I have no strong
opinion either way.

That said I'd like to be able to have two (or more) output views on the one
tab. This means I could have Variables, gdb and assembly output on a single
tab. Is there any reason we are restricted to one view per tab?

jbb